Summer Athletics Schedule 2016
What is the SJCS philosophy of the Athletic Department?
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.Philippians 3:17
Goal of SJCS Athletics
To be committed to developing optimum spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, and social growth in order to press on for the cause of Christ in the present and the future. (Philippians 3:7-14)
- Work ethic (Col 3:23)
- Dealing with success (1 Peter 5:6)
- Coping with disappointment (James 1:12)
- Handling conflict (Matthew 18:15-18)
- Love one another (John 13:34,35)
What does it mean to win at SJCS?
Winning at SJCS means that the Lord is honored. Achieving victory in the spiritual realm through demonstrating a Christ-honoring testimony, persevering in difficult situations, winning or losing with grace, and treating opponents and officials with respect. A win at SJCS is characterized by others seeing a difference in our players, coaches, and spectators.
Spiritual Victory Examples
- Demonstrating the fruits of the Spirit during stressful situations. (Galatians 5:22)
- Submitting to the rules of the game and the officials. (Titus 3:1,2)
- Presenting oneself as a living sacrifice on and off the field. (Romans 12:1)
- Praising God in victory and defeat (Psalm 150:6)
- Conducting oneself as an example of Christ (1 Timothy 4:12)
Spiritual Defeat Examples
- Belittling an opponent or official (James 3:9)
- Using offensive language (Col 3:8)
- Losing one’s temper or becoming uncontrolled (Proverbs 29:11)
- Breaking the rules (Prov. 12:17)