Listen to Elementary Principal, Rose Dunlap
Early childhood learning at SJCS—keeping fun in the fundamentals!
Are you looking for a pre-Kindergarten experience that will provide solid fundamentals for your little one and also nurture their love for learning? Our Pre-K classes are structured to allow plenty of time for active, imaginative play because research has shown that child-initiated play enhances development in several critical areas such as sensorimotor, intellectual, and social/emotional. Sometimes I even have to remind myself that although it may look like all fun and games, they are actually building a strong foundation for life-long success!
If you are looking for a pre-kindergarten program that combines age-appropriate academics, fun, active learning, and a safe, Christian environment, please give us a call and schedule a tour today.
Elementary Principal at St. Joseph Christian School.
When we enrolled our daughter in pre-k at St. Joseph Christian School, it was really a leap of faith. We didn’t have the financial means to commit to 13+ years of Christian education but we couldn’t deny the strong leading we felt from the Lord to enroll her here. As He always does, God had a plan and He has provided for our family in amazing ways through the years…we are so grateful for His provision and for St. Joseph Christian School. We could never have guessed all those years ago the impact SJCS would have in our lives. Not only has our daughter received an excellent education founded on biblical truth; our entire family has been supported in our spiritual walk and challenged to grow in our faith. We’ve come to look at the cost of an education at SJCS as more of an investment–an investment with eternal returns. Of course, the best thing about SJCS isn’t a thing; it’s the people. We’ve been so blessed by the SJCS teachers, staff, and the other wonderful Christian families we’ve met. We are so grateful God led us to SJCS; we can’t imagine having our daughter anywhere else!Parent on GreatSchools.org
Philosophy of Christian Pre-kindergarten
“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” 1 John 3:1 We believe that God has given parents the responsibility to educate their children and rear them in the “fear and admonition of the Lord.” As your delegated authority to work with you in this sacred endeavor, it is our privilege to share biblical truths as well as academic knowledge. The classroom provides a wonderful setting to apply and practice these principles. In order to provide a well-rounded learning experience, we will incorporate Bible stories, memory verses, academic skills, structured learning center time, music and recess. We look forward to your active participation in your child’s education!
Who Wants to Grow as Jesus Grew? We do! (According to Luke 2:52)
- Academically (in wisdom) – We will learn the alphabet and the phonetic sounds of each letter, as well as printing the letters. By learning the letter-sound combinations, we can begin to form words. Identification of the numbers 0 to 20 and the number concepts from 1 to 10, along with printing them will be learned. Colors, shapes and other concepts will also be a part of our learning.
- Physically (in stature) – We will have opportunities for both large and small motor activities, and we will practice good health and safety habits. There will be a learning center time and an outdoor recess both in the morning and in the afternoon.
- Spiritually (in favor with God) – Bible verses will be memorized and we will learn that the Bible is God’s Word and everything in it is true. We will provide daily Bible lessons to learn about God and the world He has made. A Christ-like character trait will be emphasized each week. On Fridays, we will join the kindergarten class for our own early childhood chapel where we will praise and worship God through songs, Bible stories, and activities.
- Socially/Emotionally (and man) – We will learn to understand our feelings as well as the feelings of others, accept authority from our teachers, follow directions and take initiative, wait patiently, play in a group while sharing and taking turns, and feel valued and competent as a unique creation of God. Each child will be taught that God has a plan for his or her life!
- To create a dependable, trusting environment that encourages learning and provide a loving, warm atmosphere where children can celebrate their accomplishments.
- To provide guidance to help children develop positive relationships with adults and their peers balanced with age-appropriate expectations.
- To provide time and opportunity for children to learn to share, take turns, follow simple directions and practice problem solving.
- To provide sensory experiences that will challenge and stimulate children intellectually.
- To provide play experiences that will encourage the development of creative expression through music, art, nature, literature and games. Children learn best when engaged in active experiential learning environments.
- To provide activities that will enhance coordination and physical development.
- To provide opportunities to strengthen fine motor skills.
- To encourage verbal expression and communication with peers.
We hope that each child leaves with the belief that learning is fun!